Pain is normal, pain is good; it is our body’s way of telling us something is wrong. From a sprained ankle or a bump on the head to breaking a bone or straining your back while playing with the kids, it is a warning to take care. This is known as Acute Pain and should go away once the injury is healed.
Chronic Pain is another story; it can continue for years after the injury is healed and can affect all aspects of your life in the form of night pain, fatigue, anxiety, depression and insomnia. These in turn can wreak havoc on relationships and your performance in daily activities, at work and on the sports field. If it has lasted longer than three months, it is chronic pain, and starting to become a brain game!
Know Your Pain:
- Cause generally known
- Short term (less than 3 months)
- Short term stress and anxiety
- Responds well to medication
- How to manage it: RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)
- Soft tissue injury
- Fractured bones
- Torn ligaments and tendons
- Open cut/wound
- Cause often unknown
- Long term (more than 3 months)
- Does not respond to medication as effectively
- Soft tissue has healed, no inflammation
- How to manage it: MEAT (Movement, Exercise, Analgesics, Treatment with a physiotherapist)
Chronic Pain Explained
How we’ll treat Your Chronic Pain
Education on Pain Management
Acute Pain is always treated and managed as soon as possible by Physiotherapy Bedfordview. If you are sore, call us before it becomes chronic pain.
Select a branch near you.[one_third]